Coconut milk offers a creamy alternative to dairy in a warm and hearty soup that you can tuck into when the temperature drops. Rich and flavorful, it combines some of the season’s most nutritious ingredients: kale boasts over 45 different flavonoids that provide antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits and mushrooms are renowned for potent immune boosting properties.
Yields a 6-quart crock pot-full or large stock pot
Cook time: 4-5 hours
*If you don’t have a crock pot, you can cook this in a large stock pot over medium heat
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
- 2 quarts vegetable broth
- 1/4-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional, omit if avoiding nightshades)
- 1 tbs. Italian seasoning (or to your own taste)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 bunch of kale, chopped and stems removed
- 1 14 oz. can organic unsweetened full-fat coconut milk
- Sauté first four ingredients in olive oil over medium high heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add sauted veggies with the sliced mushrooms to crock pot.
- Add 2 quarts of vegetable broth and your spices. Add red pepper flakes (exclude if you’re avoiding nightshades) and Italian seasoning to your own taste.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Set the crockpot on low and leave for 4 hours. Then stir in chopped kale and can of coconut milk.
- Set crock pot on high for about 20 minutes until kale is wilted. Once the kale is wilted your soup is ready to enjoy!