By Dr. Morrison and Dr. Moreno
You may have noticed that around mid-January, winter starts to show off: icy temperatures and impromptu snow storms, coupled with blasting heat and dry indoor air everywhere you go—it’s no wonder that we are in the thick of cold and flu season.
Natural ways to prevent colds and the flu:
Our immune system is our bodies’ best defense against germs; infection occurs when our immune system gets run down or we get a large germ exposure. Diet, stress, and sick contacts can affect our health and be improved in the following ways:
- Avoid dairy and sugar – dairy is known to create mucous and sugar actually stuns our white blood cells, both of which weaken our immune system.
- Eat warm foods and drink tea – our body naturally activates our immune system when we get a fever; we can simulate this response by eating warm foods like soup and drinking tea.
- Exercise daily – regular daily movement provides numerous benefits to your immune system, including improved circulation, allowing your immune defense forces to attack infections more quickly.
- Wash your hands with a glycerin soap – skip the antibacterial soap. Glycerin soap is safe to use, lowers germ counts and won’t dry your skin.
- Buffered Vitamin C– 750mg with food twice daily can help your body handle stress and it also stimulates your immune system.
- N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine (NAC) – 600mg with food twice daily has been shown to lower the risk for the flu.
- Echinacea Premium– 1 tablet daily
How to treat a cold and flu naturally:
In case you do get sick, some natural remedies to consider include:
- Chicken soup – many people find their cold symptoms lessen with this age-old remedy.
- Buffered Vitamin C – 1500mg three times daily with food
- Andrographis – 200 mg three times daily
Another treatment that we’ve found helpful for patients with a cold or flu is a Vitamin C IV immune protocol. Patients remark that it helps them to feel well quickly. Ask your doctor whether they do Vitamin C IVs and whether that treatment is right for you.
Please call 212.989.9828 or email us with any questions, and stay healthy during this flu season!
Jeffrey A Morrison, M.D.
Jeffrey A. Morrison, M.D. is a practicing physician, founder of The Morrison Center for Integrative Medicine in New York City, award-winning author of Cleanse Your Body, Clear Your Mind, Board Certified in Family Practice and Integrative Medicine and Vice President of the American College for the Advancement in Medicine (ACAM). .
Victoria Moreno, M.D.
Victoria Moreno, M.D. is a Board Certified Family Physician currently practicing Integrative Medicine at The Morrison Center, with Dr. Jeffrey Morrison, and training as a fellow of the University of Arizona Center for Integrative Health, founded by Dr. Andrew Weil.